Save Water Now!
Are you water smart? Review the checklist below to find out!
- Do you have high efficiency toilets and showerheads? What about faucets or aerators?
- Do you know the flow rate of your bathroom fixtures? For toilets, the flow rate should be less than or equal to 1.28 gallons per flush or 4.85 litres per flush; for faucets, less than or equal to 1.5 gallons or 5.68 litres per minute; and for showers, less than or equal to 2.0 gallons or 7.57 litres per minute.
- Is your toilet leaking? Toilets are the highest consumers of water in most homes. If you have a leak, you will need to replace the toilet flapper or refill valve.
- Do you shower for longer than 5 minutes?
- Do you fill the tub every time you bathe?
- Do you turn off the water while brushing your teeth, washing hands or soaping while showering?
- Do you flush the toilet only when necessary?
- Do you turn off the faucet properly?
- Do you know how to read your water meter?
- Have you had the water pressure in your home checked?
- Do your interior or exterior faucets drip?
- Is your water heater leaking? Is there water accumulating on the floor?
- Are pipes under sinks leaking when the water is turned on or off?
- Do you have sediment filters installed?
- Do you have an ice maker? Is it leaking behind the refrigerator?
- Do you have an Energy Star dishwasher? Is the plumbing to your dishwasher leaking?
- Do you know the flow rate of your kitchen faucet? For faucets, the rate should be less than or equal to 1.5 gallons or 5.68 litres per minute.
- Do you fill the kitchen sink (or a container) with water to wash and rinse dishes?
- Do you turn off the water while washing dishes?
- Do you use the dishwasher only when it’s full?
- Do you have an Energy Star washing machine? Washing machines are the second largest consumer of water in most homes after toilets.
- Is the plumbing to your washing machine leaking?
- Do you adjust the water setting for the washing machine depending on size of load?
- Do you have a pool? Does it have an autofill? Is there a leak by the pump or filter?
- Do you irrigate your garden with a hose or sprinkler? Does the connection leak when you turn on the device?
- Do you have water intensive plants such as palm trees?
- Do you use a hose or a broom to clean the driveway or sidewalk?
- Do you use a bucket when washing the car?